Long time no type... I decided I wanted to write something, even if no one reads it (since I do not regularly update this bad boy).

I hadn't been a partaker in "reading for fun" for a long time now, but after being in Korea... I have been reacquainted with the wonderful world of literature.
It all began with a book my mom gave me entitled, The Shack. She gave it to me sometime in 2008 I believe. I finally finished it in August of 2009! WOOOO! What an accomplishment, seriously.

Well, that got the ball rolling, and the next book I had in my possession for an extended amount of time was, A Child Called "It." Once I opened its pages, it was already over a mere 3 days later. Whoa baby! I'm doing good! It was very impelling; although, after doing some research, the story has some debate regarding its authenticity. This book was also finished in August.

The next book I was to read however, was not in my possession. After a 'movie day' and summary activity with my kindergarten class, I was inspired to read J. M. Barrie's Peter and Wendy! That's right...and it was filled with adventurous excitement and imagination! I actually was able to read this book on a tropical island in Thailand - what joy...do you see the relationship here?! It took me about 3 months to finish this one.

My most recent read has been John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress. It was exceptional. Even though it was filled with words that I was compelled to look up on every page - it was filled with symbolic narrations that one on a pilgrimage of their own can fully appreciate and relate. This took me about 3 months to take in; however, I know I shall surely open its drama-filled pages once again for better comprehension and no-doubt a different experience.

A couple days ago I opened up C.S. Lewis' The Magician's Nephew; the first book in The Chronicles of Narnia series. I'm pretty excited to see what religious tones and symbolism will be brought forth and unveil itself... and of course experience the incredible visual language that will power my imagination!

Another book I'm interested to read in the near future is Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe! The English language has always intrigued me, and with these older books, finding words/phrases that have changed meaning over time, are archaic or are just new to me, both humbles and thrills me!
More to update soon about...??...

Ooh, The Shack is a good one - and it's set in Oregon! I've just gotten back into reading for fun too and I'm loving it. Thanks for the recommendations.
ReplyDelete