Monday, March 9, 2009

Aching Seouls

SOOO... I've just experienced my first weekend in South Korea. I'll start from the beginning and be as brief as possible for my sake.

Waiting to board Korean Air in the DFW on Thursday, I happen to catch some CNN... some of you might have, too. Well, N. Korea threatened danger to South Korean passenger planes flying near its border... hmm I'm flying within 20 miles of the N. Korean border... little freaky. Anywho, I was fine.

I arrived in Seoul on Friday afternoon and little brother Jonathan was there to receive me and all my splendor (whatever that means :o ). First, I went by the school and was "debriefed," if you will. Then, Jonathan and I explored the city, and I got a cell phone, T-money card (a device to use the Subway). Well, we get to my apartment, and of course it's small - but MAN did it smell foul, I tell you what! It was filthy to say the least. Dried up food remains behind this, dust and dirt behind that, mothballs here, hair there, ghetto windows, rusted slippers, medicinal pills (I think), rubbish, no remote = unwatchable tv, no A/C, and perhaps the previous occupant's bedspread and comforter, on and on, etc, etc... This place was so gross I had to sleep at Jothin's place. I slept on a small 4 foot long couch with no cushion.

On Saturday, we went to Costco, E-Mart, G-Mart, dollar stores, etc... to equip my apartment with the necessities. Costco was grand. Two floors of amazingness. Like Sam's Club, there were food samples galore. This day I explored the subway with J and learnt some Korean symbols. ... I get stared at quite often, not too many foreigners where I live.. or people that speak English.

On Sunday, Jonathan, I, and some friends of his went to church at an English speaking service. The pastor reminded me of Keanu Reeves, but he had a great message (he was Korean-American btw). After, we ate some kimchi, some Korean-style Schnitzel, and other pretty good food. We then called a Filipina lady (maid service) to clean my apartment. She was very nice. We left her at the apartment for 3 hours while we explored and came back to a fresh, clean residence! It was very niiice. I should have taken before/after pics. :/ We then ate more Korean food, explored, learnt Korean letters, yada yada... I'm leaving tons out, but am tired because today was the first day of school... I'll post that tomorrow or something!

Sorry if this sounds like short ramble - it is... too tired to write eloquently. The blarney has rubbed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment