Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Speaking of Endurance...

So Monday was the first day of school, and let me tell you... I'm not sure if any one has ever been, as overwhelmed to say the least, to the degree as I was on my first day of teaching.
I was thrown into a chaotic whirlpool of erratic Koreans.

Since I was late and missed the 1 1/2 week orientation/observation/prep time, I was being handed papers left and right while being told what needs to be done for each class, each day, each week, each month, etc... and this is while I am trying to teach (really?.. teaching!?) a class called Leadership or Good Neighbors or Theme in which I wasn't even aware of the objective or know really where to begin. I was being told that I needed lesson plans turned in on Fridays, personal communication letters sent home thrice a week, monthly newsletters, and monthly phone calls. On top of all this, I'm trying to communicate my need for reimbursement for a flight to Houston for my visa, my relocation allowance, set up a Korean bank account, learn names of all the people these other people are telling me to speak with....AH! During my short breaks of people walking in and out of my room (while I'm supposed to be teaching), I'm trying to become aware of class procedures and routines on my own. I was on the brink... the edge of it all, wavering like Superman's cape in a bizarro world of education.

Well, the first week of school has now ended and... wow what a "unique" school (hagwon). Expectations at this school are high, and realistically, they are undoubtedly unrealistic. For example, on Thursday afternoons I will be teaching GT science with 9 students (ages range from 4-5 American years). Now at this point, the only thing I knew about the class is the name. I have not been given a head's up to what the class mission/goal/objective might be. Around 10:30am, one of the Korean supervisors hands me a couple of books and a blank lesson plan sheet. She wants to be describe what the class is designed to do, what we will be generally doing throughout the year, as well as plan out the next 2 months worth of lesson plans - type them out - and have them ready to send home with the students (to show their parents) at the end of the day... yeaaah riiight. At this point, I am still trying to grasp my other duties and comprehend the lessons of my core classes. I readily say that the expectation for me to turn in quality work given such short notice is impossible. Man, I was bewildered that she would even ask that of any teacher. We (the foreign teachers) later had a meeting about these unrealistic expectations and that these short notices were impractical.

Anywho, we left that day, and I was able to get to know my fellow teachers (Foreign English teachers) as we blew off some steam and relaxed at a nearby restaurant called Two Two Chicken. I am the only guy teacher... what a shock, right? Actually there are a lot of guys who do teach English with the prek - elementary level here, just not currently at my school.

Yesterday, we (Jothin, me, friends) went to a pot-luck party. I made my homemade cookies with whatever ingredients that were available. The brown sugar and vanilla were very different, sooo they tasted way different. People seemed to enjoy them however.

Anywho... I'm about to leave to catch a subway and meet little brother... My next post will include pics of my apartment... I've been really bad regarding taking pictures... I usually forget to bring my camera!

1 comment:

  1. I got a little stressed just reading this post! Hope things are slowing down and you are having a good time!

    ReplyDelete